Carmel Valley Fire

Early this morning, a fire broke out at a home on Tassajara Rd. The home was destroyed, and another building was partially destroyed, along with 2 vehicles. The occupants were able to get out and are not injured. CalFire, Carmel Valley Fire and Cachagua Volunteer Fire Brigade worked to prevent it from spreading to the surrounding vegetation. At last report, 1/2 acre is involved, no other structures currently threatened.

Kelly O’Brien of KUSP and Jamesburg reports: “The fire started at about 4:00 am this morning. The local CERT and Community Task Force member Greg Schermann began calling neighbors at about 5:00 am to warn them about the danger of this structure fire turning into a wildland fire.

The fire spread rapidly, and by the time Cachagua Fire crews arrived on scene – minutes after the start of the blaze – the fire had engulfed the entire house, casting firebrands over a wide area and threatening the brush and wildlands adjacent to the property.”

Here is a photo to provide an idea of the location taken by Kelly O’Brien. You can see the smoke from the fire, and the hill up which it could have easily run directly behind it:
IMG_0855
Kelly tells us: “Cachagua, Carmel Valley and Cal Fire Crews responded.

The hill you see behind the property was threatened, but thanks to quick, very regimented and thoughtful action, the house, which was engulfed in flames, did not turn into a wildland fire. This intersection is the only way out of the area for Jamesburg residents ( the direction from which I’m shooting the pic ).”

Tassajara House

“Remains of the house… one outbuilding was a also destroyed. The family is OK and all of their animals survived. The fire was believed started by a bad electrical connection… many extension cords were used on the property, and it’s possible that the one used to power a chicken coop heater may have caused the blaze,” Kelly O’Brien writes.

Thanks, Kelly for the great reporting and photos. I should have to pay you a salary — that is if I made anything from my blog!! Thank goodness KUSP can pay you!

And lastly, a huge THANK YOU to the men and women of Cachagua VFB, Carmel Valley Fire and Cal Fire Crews.

A little side note — this is my 500th post since I started this silly blog on July 5, 2008. A milestone, of sorts. 500 posts in 14 months. Whew!

~ by bigsurkate on September 8, 2009.

10 Responses to “Carmel Valley Fire”

  1. Anyone know who’s place?

  2. Great work by the Cachagua Valley first responders. The area is so dry and densely forested this one could have been very bad. Great the family and animals are fine!

  3. Yes, despite the loss of the house, and I am so sorry for the family, I think this one goes in the “win” category. Great firefighting!!

  4. Bravo Kelly and Kate. I can’t believe my two friends know each other and are collaborating like this on fire reporting. Thank doG the fire was extinguished and everyone and everything – except the house – is safe!

  5. Hi, Kate! Thanks for the kind words and the great work! Actually, KUSP doesn’t pay me… I’m a volunteer, just like you!

    Hi, Ruthie!!!

    All the best,

    Kelly

  6. Well, damn. Someone needs to pay you!!

  7. Happy 500th! Thank you for all you do.

  8. Your blog is not silly, I can imagine how much time you spend upon it. I heard it on the scanner last night but was to sleepy to cognate.

  9. Thank you for updating everyone Kelly and Kate. It certainly was a win. Ruth Moller and William Reese, owners of the property.

  10. Kelly and Kate..Beautiful website and kudos for the kind alerting of all. I can only say three things: 1) Pray daily; 2) get a good fire proof safe from CO)STCO for about $225.00 (and the family fotos will survive; and 3) get a big smart dog (in case the fire sensor batteries have not been replaced. We all live in a Paradise and are beholden to the great fire-fighters of Carmel Valley, Cachagua and CAL Fire. Hugs to all, William and Ruthie

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,207 other followers

%d bloggers like this: