Big Sur Health Center Health Fair
From Big Sur Health Center
Big Sur Health Center Announces Its Annual Health Fair and Celebrates its 35th Anniversary!
Tuesday, October 14th Noon – 5:00 p.m.
BIG SUR, CA — As the only medical facility between the Monterey Peninsula and Cambria, the Big Sur Health Center is critical to the wellness of its community. The Big Sur Health Center wants you to save the date for its 2014 Health Fair 2014 – Tuesday, October 14th, 2014, noon – 5:00 pm.
Open to the public, this health fair offers the following complimentary activities:
· Health screening opportunities
· Flu shots
· Blood sugar and cholesterol screens (provided by CHOMP)
· Blood pressure
· Dental checkups
· Nutrition counseling
· Weight management
· This year the Big Sur Health Center will be celebrating its 35th Anniversary as part of the health fair with a “healthy barbecue,” and fun activities for all!
The 2014 health fair will take place at the Big Sur Health Center located at 46896 Highway 1, Big Sur. For more information call (831) 667-2580.
Big Sur Health Center Celebrates 35 Years!
• 1979 The Big Sur Health Center (BSHC) was founded in September 1979, through a local, grassroots effort, to meet the needs of the rural community of Big Sur —its mission, to provide quality comprehensive medical care to all, regardless of ability to pay.
• 1985 The Big Sur Health Center became a 501(c)(3) corporation with a volunteer board of directors.
• 1985 The Health Center relocated from the Big Sur Grange Hall to its current location on the grounds of the All Saints Episcopal Church of Carmel, 1/8 mile south of the Big Sur River Inn.
• 2004 Through a community-wide fundraising and development effort by BSHC and volunteer members of the Big Sur community, along with financial support from the California Endowment, Community Foundation for Monterey County, Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula, Harden Foundation, and Monterey Peninsula Foundation, BSHC opened a new 2,100-square-foot medical facility in November 2004 to replace an aging building that the center had outgrown.
• Today the presence of Big Sur Health Center is crucial to the welfare of the Big Sur community. As the only medical facility between the Monterey Peninsula (30 miles to the north) and Cambria (70 miles to the south), BSHC plays a vital role in the local community, serving the health care needs of the population by providing high-quality local, culturally and linguistically appropriate, affordable, medical care Background on The Big Sur Health Center:
As a nonprofit health-care facility since 1979, the Big Sur Health Center provides quality acute and preventive health care services that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, and cost-effective. It is the Health Center’s quest to be a lifelong healthcare partner and provide care when needed.
The Big Sur Health Center provides:
• comprehensive, personalized services through conventional and holistic approaches that focus on patient needs;
• both preventive and urgent care, minor surgical procedures and basic laboratory and pharmaceutical services;
• assistance during emergencies, such as fires, storms and road closures that isolate Big Sur
• a bilingual staff that is committed to building strong, personal patient/provider relationships that empower individuals to reach their highest levels of well-being;
• a team that understands and embraces the diverse cultures and age groups that contribute to the richness of the Big Sur community;
The BSHC believes that health care should be available to everyone … and that is why they accept most major insurance plans, including Medicare and Medical, and participate in a variety of subsidized and sliding-scale programs.
10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-5 p.m.
46896 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920