Mud Creek Closed in both directions until further notice, 5/4/17

STATE ROUTE 1 IS FULLY CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS AT MUD CREEK DUE TO CONTIUED SLIDE ACTIVITY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. DELIVERY VEHICLES AND LOCAL RESIDENTS WILL NEED TO USE NACIMIENTO-FERGUSSON EXIT SOUTH OR TO CLEAR THE ACCESS TIMES AT PAUL’S SLIDE.
CALTRANS WILL PROVIDE AN UPDATE MID-DAY ON MONDAY, MAY 8.

~ by bigsurkate on May 4, 2017.

10 Responses to “Mud Creek Closed in both directions until further notice, 5/4/17”

  1. Kate,

    Wildfire season never seems to end, preppers busy again…

    http://www.montereyherald.com/general-news/20170503/cal-fire-crews-prepare-for-wildfire-season-in-monterey-county

    Like

  2. And Cal Fire was at FHL training with their department in structure protection yesterday.

    bigsurkate

    Like

  3. In other news….Happy May! Transitions, Surfing & Celebration~`~
    Thank You All for the few weeks back at Esalen= Migwetch!
    May Pole Celebration…My Favorite Job EVER!!!!

    Like

  4. Kate,

    Hermitage has a 50-50 chance to reopen by 6-1, tough to take that forecast and make it brighter.

    Like

  5. 5/5: CPC/CC:

    “Stolen redwoods found, but not the thieves”

    COUNTY AND park officials say they still don’t know
    who cut down dozens of redwoods last August at the Mill
    Creek Redwood Preserve while firefighters battled the

    Soberanes Fire nearby. But many of the felled trees were left
    behind, and today they sit neatly stacked on a property owned
    by the Big Sur Land Trust, where one day they could be
    transformed into bridges, railings, stairs, benches and interpretive
    displays in local parks.

    Rafael Payan, the general manager of the
    Monterey Peninsula Regional Park District,
    which owns the preserve, told The Pine Cone that
    the county and the land trust agreed to move the
    logs there “to ensure they would not be stolen.”
    Before the trees were hauled to their present
    site, they were cut into segments ranging from
    about 8 to 12 feet long. About 70 pieces are being
    stored. While some of the logs came from trees
    that were relatively small, others came from trees
    much larger, as evidenced by one log that measures
    4 feet in diameter. Some logs were burned
    extensively, while others showed little or no sign
    of being scorched by the blaze.

    The wood could be used to replace several
    redwood bridges at Mill Creek which were
    destroyed by the Soberanes Fire. The park district
    previously estimated that it would cost $100,000
    to replace those bridges.

    While park district officials will likely find a
    good use for the valuable redwood logs, they still
    don’t know who cut them down. “The park disto
    feature Assemblyman Mark Stone, staff from Sen. Bill
    Monning’s office, John Laird of the Natural Resources
    Agency, Congressman Jimmy Panetta, and other state and
    local officials.

    “The Pure Water project exemplifies ingenuity by utilizing
    and recycling existing water and treating it for domestic
    and agricultural use,” Panetta told The Pine Cone. “I believe
    it is an important step in the long walk of addressing the
    water needs of our region.”

    The project involves treating water from a variety of
    sources, including wastewater, agricultural produce wash
    water, stormwater and irrigation water, and could begin
    delivering water into the Seaside Groundwater Basin in late
    2018.

    Water district general manager Dave Stoldt said the “innovative
    project” sets a new standard for recycling the
    Peninsula’s limited water resources.
    “It is the first step for a permanent replacement water supply,”
    Stoldt told the Pine Cone. “By starting now, we will trict was not involved in the felling of the redwoods,” Payan insisted.

    County official John Guertin said the county only hired a
    contractor to do cleanup work along Palo Colorado to ensure
    critical access for firefighters during the Soberanes Fire,
    which was raging at the time the redwoods disappeared.
    “We definitely did not cut the trees down,” county official
    John Guertin said. “We wouldn’t have cut down any trees
    unless the park district or Cal Fire directed us to.”

    Cal Fire official Jonathan Pangburn also said his agency
    had nothing to do with cutting the trees down. Cal Fire was
    in the area battling the Soberanes Fire when the trees mysteriously
    were taken down.

    The disappearance of the redwoods came to light when a
    neighbor, Kerry Frangioso, told The Pine Cone she saw “a
    large number of redwoods piled up on the side of the road”
    in mid-August.

    Unfortunately, a wildfire can create opportunities for looting
    and other illegal activities. “Law enforcement organizations
    understandably declare areas affected by these types of
    emergencies ‘off limits’ to unauthorized parties,” Payan said.
    “This helps protect the affected property, the general public
    and the personnel who are addressing the emergency. Sadly,
    it is at these times when a small segment of the population
    takes advantage of the situation for their personal gain.”

    Used to being burned….

    Redwoods are very hardy and commonly survive fire,despite being charred and giving the appearance that they’re
    dead. “What may not be known to some is that redwood trees
    are fire-adapted and, unlike many other tree species, may
    actually survive several wildfires during their lifetimes,” he
    added. “Unfortunately, it is possible that someone may
    unwittingly fell a redwood tree that may have otherwise survived
    a fire.”

    The trees that were downed will likely come back, but
    they’ll look nothing like they did before they were cut down.
    “Redwoods often re-sprout from the remaining stumps, or
    their nearby roots,” Payan added. “But even when it resprouts,
    a redwood tree may never look like it did prior to it
    being cut – at least not in our lifetime, and perhaps not even
    in our grandchildren’s lifetimes.”

    According to Payan, Mill Creek “was ostensibly burned in
    its entirety to varying degrees of severity and remains closed
    to the public until trails can be cleared, and in some cases, reestablished.”
    It’s too early to say when it will reopen.

    The land where the trees was taken from was once owned
    by a logging company, but it was purchased by the Big Sur
    Land Trust and resold to the Monterey Peninsula Regional
    Park District in 1988.

    Like

  6. Delete above the c/p got compromised and parts of 2 stories mixed in with the main story, WTH. – too bad there isn’t an edit function I could have corrected it- Damn.

    Like

  7. Perhaps, Andrew, in the future you could simply post the LINK to something that you want to share, instead of posting the huge long post. That way, people who actually WANT to read it can click the link and problems like you had with copy and paste won’t happen. Posting just the link is what Kate and everyone else does; perhaps….

    Like

  8. Tony, click on the link Carmel Pine Cone in the “Local Media Section” and you’ll find it..I c/p only because CPC stories bounce around through the publication. Once you find it you will understand why I make that effort- this was an error on my part…

    Like

  9. You missed my point.

    Like

  10. Your point was if it is too long a story don’t post, link, if interested folks will seek it out, right Tony? I think i did, now if it was something else, well maybe you are right..

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: